What To Do If You Still Have Not Received Your W-2

As you know, if you work for someone else, you will need to have your W-2  from each of your employer in order for you to prepare and file your taxes. A W-2 is a Wage and Tax statement that shows the following information:

  • – your gross salary and/or wages
  • – federal and/or state taxes are withheld
  • – social security and Medicare taxes
  • – Retirement information

Your employers must provide you this form no later than January 31. It is usually attached on your January 31 paycheck or you may also retrieve it online if your employer offers this option. In some cases, your employer will send it via the postal mail but you have to wait a few days to allow for delivery time.

Usually, if you already received your W-2 and misplaced it, you just need to contact your employer and they can replace the lost form by reissuing you a new one. Please keep in mind that your employer may charge you a fee for furnishing you with a new W-2.

Steps To Follow If You Have Not Received Your W-2

If it has been more than a reasonable time (usually after the first week of February) and you still have not received the W-2, you can try the following steps in the order it is presented:

1. Contact Your Employer First

If  you still have not received your Form W-2, the first thing that you have to do is to contact your employer to find out if they have mailed the form and when it was mailed. The form may have been returned to your employer because of an incorrect address. Your employer should be able to re-issue  and resend you a new W-2.

2. Contact the IRS

You may have no luck with your employer or previous employer for some reason. If you still have not received your W-2 by February 15th, the next step is to contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040. When you call, you need to have the following information ready:

  • the employer’s name, complete address, and telephone number;
  • the employer’s identification number (if known);
  • your name, complete address, Social Security number, and telephone number; and
  • an estimate of your salary, the federal income tax withheld, and the dates you began and ended employment.

3. Use Form 4852

If you’re still out of luck with the first two steps, and it is already close to the tax filing deadline, you may need to use  Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, but this step would probably delay any refund due since the IRS has to verify the information that you have provided.

If you receive a corrected W-2 after your return is filed and the information does not match the income or withheld tax that you reported on your return, you must file an amended return on Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.