The cost of going to college has been rising throughout the years and it is becoming less affordable for a lot of families.
Most college students use some sort of financial aid to help pay for the costs of college such as student loans, grants, scholarships, IRA accounts, and other educational tax savings programs.
Among all the financial resources, scholarships and grants are probably considered the best resource because students do not have to pay these back.
Scholarships are based on merit and these are determined on a case by case basis. It is a common misconception that scholarships are only available to those with financial need. This is not really the case since students coming from well-off families are still able to take advantage of them as long as students pass the qualification requirement. A perfect example is the athletic scholarships offered by universities.
For the most part If you are a member of the following minority population, you can take advantage of the various scholarships programs that they offer. It is best to visit the websites and check the availability of scholarship programs and find out on how to apply and qualify. In fact, most of the private scholarships for the minority population are administered by the following organizations:
1. United Negro College Fund
The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) focuses on the educational status of African Americans of all ages from pre-school through adulthood. The Institute seeks to understand and expand the multiple pathways leading to educational attainment and serves to positively impact public policy and improve local education.
The Program Services Department administers various scholarship programs. Each program has its own eligibility criteria, open/close dates and required documents. In order to apply for a UNCF Program Services Scholarship, you must apply through the online application process. Below is the list of all programs currently accepting applications:
Sample Scholarships Administered:
- Arlene Benton Nolan and John Nolan Scholarship
- Catherine Roberts Bridgeman Scholarship
- Central Florida Black, Nurses Scholarship
- Central Florida Scholarship
- Dallas Independent School District Scholarship
- Deborah L. Vincent/ FAHRO Education Scholarship
- Fort Worth Independent School District Scholarship
- Google Scholarship
- Family Charitable Trust Scholarship
- Hershey Company
- Jethro Pugh Scholarship
- John Walter Bridgeman Scholarship
- MCCA Lloyd M. Johnson Jr. Scholarship
- Northwest Indiana Scholarship
- Ossie Davis Endowment Scholarship
- Red Hot & Snazzy Gala Scholarship
- Richardson ISD Scholarship
- Rosa E. Blackwell Scholarship Fund
- Sprint Scholars Program
- St. Petersburg Golf Classic Scholarship
- UNCF/Sororities of Broward and Miami-Dade Florida Scholarship
- Youth Gala Scholarship
2. The Asian & Pacific Islander Scholarship
The Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF), established in 2003, is the nation’s largest non-profit organization that provides scholarships to Asian and Pacific Islander Americans (APIAs) with financial need. APIASF is currently based in Washington, DC.
The vision of the organization is to ensure that all APIAs have access to higher education and resources that cultivate the students’ academic, personal and professional success regardless of their ethnicity, national origin or financial need.
In addition, the organization seeks to make a difference in the lives of APIA students by providing them with resources that increase their access to higher education which serves as the foundation for their future success and contributions to a stronger nation.
- AT&T Foundation Scholarship
- Coca-Cola Foundation Scholarship
- Darden Restaurants Foundation Scholarship
- Farmers Insurance Scholarship
- Frances Sonn Nam Memorial Scholarship
- FedEx Scholarship
- Gates Millennium Scholar
- Hilton Hotels Scholarship
- Honda Scholarship
- MassMutual Scholars Program
- MetLife Foundation Scholarship
- Sara Lee Foundation Scholarship
- Southern California Edison Scholarship
- Target Scholarship
- Thai Alliance in America Scholarship
- United Health Foundation Scholarship
- USA Funds Scholarship
- Verizon Foundation Scholarship
- Wachovia Wells Fargo Foundation Scholarship
- Walmart Foundation Scholarship
3. American Indian College Fund
The American Indian College Fund provides scholarships and other support for the American Indian students. Tribal colleges, the vast majority of which are located on or near reservations, provide opportunity and access to post-secondary education. Tribal colleges are changing the face of Indian education by providing accredited degrees and keeping Indian culture and tradition at the heart of their curriculum at the same time.
The Fund disburses approximately 6,000 scholarships annually for American Indian students seeking to better their lives through higher education. The Fund also provides support for tribal college needs ranging from capital support to cultural preservation activities.
- Tribal College Scholarship Program
- Tribal College Special Scholarships
- Graduate Special Scholarships and Mainstream Scholarships such as Austin Family Scholarship Endowment
- Ecotrust Native American Scholarship Program
- Ford Motor Company Scholarship
- Morgan Stanley Scholars Program
- Nissan North America Inc. Scholarship
- Traveler’s Foundation
- Sovereign Nations Scholarship Fund
- United Health Foundation Scholarship
4. Hispanic Scholarship Fund
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund’s (HSF) mission is to strengthen America by advancing the college education of Hispanic Americans. The organization delivers a range of programs to Hispanic families and students through community outreach and education, affordability via scholarships, college retention and career opportunities.
HSF supports a successful path for Latinos to attain a college degree – creating an increasingly valuable asset for a stronger, more competitive America in the 21st century. HSF has awarded over $300M, resulting in close to 100,000 scholarships to students in need.
- HSF/General College Scholarship
- ALPFA Scholarship
- AT&T Foundation Scholarship
- Bakersfield Scholarship
- Budweiser Cup Tournament Scholarship
- Cummins Scholarship
- Coca-Cola Live Positively and Hispanic Scholarship Fund Essay Contest
- Exxon Mobil Scholarship
- Freddie Mac Scholarship Program
- Gold Standard Scholarship
- Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Business Leadership Award
- HACEMOS Scholarship
- Honda Award Scholarship
- Hormel Scholarship
- HSBC-North America Scholarship
- Macy’s College Scholarship
- Marathon Oil Corporation College Scholarship Program
- MassMutual Multicultural College Scholarship
- McNamara Family Creative Arts Grant Project
- Morgan Stanley Foundation Scholarship
- Nissan North America, Inc. Scholarship
- President Obama/STEM Teacher Scholarship
- Procter & Gamble Company Scholarship
- Qualcomm Q Awards Scholarship
- Sendero al Futuro Scholarship
- Shell Scholarship
- Telemundo Scholarship
- Travelers Foundation Scholarship
- Winchell’s & Yum Yum Donuts Scholarship.