Tax Filing Resources

7 Useful Tax Articles For Last Minute Filers

Because the Emancipation Day, which is a holiday observed in the District of  Columbia, will be observed on Friday, April 15, 2011, the IRS is extending the due date to Monday, April 18, 2011 for taxpayers to file their 2010 returns and pay taxes. By law, D.C. holidays impact tax deadlines in the same way […]

4 Most Common Mistakes Made on the Tax Return

Taxes are a very complicated subject not only for regular citizens but also for the tax professionals. There are just so many rules and so many books on the tax codes that it would be impossible for one person to keep up. This is probably one of the reasons that a lot of people really […]

How To Get An Extension To File Your Tax Return

Tax filing is really hectic and very stressful especially if you are filing the long form and you are still waiting for various documentations. Others may be out of the country during that time while others may have a very difficult tax return that requires thorough preparation. If you think you are not going to make […]

How to File An Amended Tax Return When You Made A Mistake on Your Taxes

When you made a mistake on your tax return, you should file an amended tax return to make that correction. However, please keep in mind that you can only amend returns that you processed for the past three tax years so you need to be aware of the time limitations. For example, if you file […]

3 Ways You Can Obtain Copies of Your Prior Year Tax Return

You should always keep copies of your tax return for a variety of reasons. The first one is for the tax audit. If a tax auditor made an inquiry on your taxes, you should be able to go back to what you’ve reported. In most cases, IRS can only audit your return for the past […]

What To Do If You Still Have Not Received Your W-2

As you know, if you work for someone else, you will need to have your W-2  from each of your employer in order for you to prepare and file your taxes. A W-2 is a Wage and Tax statement that shows the following information: – your gross salary and/or wages – federal and/or state taxes […]

How To Check The Status of Your Tax Refund Check

Because of the recent changes in tax laws for tax year 2010, taxpayers are unable to e-file their returns until February 14, 2011 to allow the IRS to change their system. You can always receive your refund faster if you e-file your tax return and use the direct deposit method. Normally, the turn around time […]

4 Payment Options You Can Use If You Owe Taxes

You should be able to determine if you owe any taxes as soon as your tax return is complete. In some cases, such as filing an extension, you need to be able to estimate how much taxes you owe. You can also have the IRS calculate the tax for you and the IRS will send […]

Why You Should File A Tax Return Even If You’re Not Required To

On my previous post, we discussed the various filing requirements for various filing statuses. and whether or not you are  required to file an income tax return. Some taxpayers are not required to file because their gross income is less than the sum of their standard deduction and personal exemption. The reason for this is […]

Are You Required To File A Tax Return

Not everybody is required to file an income tax return. If you are a US citizen or resident, usually, the filing requirements depends on your gross income, filing status and age. In general, if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than your standard deduction and the allowed personal exemptions, then you do not have […]

Determining Your Tax Filing Status

When filing your tax return, one of the things that you have to identify first is your filing status. Your filing status is the key to determining how much your standard deduction is (if you are not itemizing your return) and what tax bracket your are going to be at or how much your tax […]

Who Can You Claim As Dependents on Your Return

When you file your return, you are entitled to a personal exemption of $3,650 ($7,300 for married filing joint) in tax year 2010. In addition to that you may be able to take additional exemption if you have dependents. The additional exemption is called dependency exemption and it is the same amount ($3,650) per dependents. […]